This delicious, vegan Asparagus and Snow Pea Salad comes with garlic cumin toasted chickpeas and honey mustard lemon dressing. It is fresh, green, scrumptiously crunchy and super healthy. Come on in my friends and see how to put this vitamin and protein powerhouse salad together in only 20 min.
With all late Spring, lush greenness bursting into life, my body and mind wants the taste of the juicy freshness. Apart from an amazing flavour, Asparagus and Snow Pea Salad gives all the juicy and satisfying experiences you could ask for. It also comes with bags of hidden goodness like plant protein, vitamins and antioxidants, which is always a welcomed bonus!
Green is always great, but to bring some bite, depth and earthiness into the picture I tossed the chickpeas with a little bit of cumin and minced garlic. And to level things up I have added lots of lemon zest to the dressing for the extra freshness.
Asparagus and Snow Pea Salad – how to get it right
The secret to keeping this simple salad super green and crunchy is just briefly blanching the asparagus and snow peas (as opposed to boiling the life out of them). Submerge them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain and rinse with ice cold water. This will not only soften the veggies just enough without injecting the unpleasant limpness, but also lighten and preserve their beautiful, green colour.
Keep it simple and use what you have on hand. Swap snow peas with mangetout or any similar, quick-cooking bean of your choice. Replace the rocket with spinach, pea shoots or any salad leaves you might have in your fridge. I used home-grown rocket to add gentle, fresh peppery spice to the medley, but feel free to use your favourite to make it truly yours.
- 1 can (400g) very well drained chickpeas, dabbed with kitchen paper to remove as much moisture as possible
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus tips
- 100g snow peas
- 2 handfuls of fresh rocket or pea shoots (spinach, lamb’s lettuce, little gem, etc. are fine as well)
- ½ cup fresh peas (you can use frozen, but thawed one instead as well)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons of whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Drizzle a bit of fresh dill and mint leaves to serve
- In a large bowl, toss chickpeas in oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour it all into a pan and toast on a medium - low heat for 10 minutes, stir often. Add minced garlic to the pan and cook it with the chickpeas for further 5 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- Meanwhile, place snow peas and asparagus in a shallow bowl and submerge them in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain and rinse with ice cold water. Drain again and reserve.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together. Toss the snow peas, asparagus and peas in the dressing, gently mix the leaves of rocket in, top up with chickpeas and freshly chopped dill or mint leaves. Enjoy!