Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip is a healthy and super tasty snack or party starter inspired by the old fashioned Baba Ganoush. I love this rich, garlicky, appetising combination! You can easily twist it your way by replacing or adding ingredients. Use zucchini, tomatoes, olives, peppers etc., if you feel like it. This time, instead of fresh, I used smoked garlic and …oh, boy! What a joy!
The secret to the great flavour of the Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip is, obviously, garlic!
∼ To crate deep and nutty flavour I usually use 1 head of roasted garlic.
∼ If I fancy more of the garlicky kick I sweat raw garlic cloves together with onions, thyme and cumin.
∼ To preserve the antibacterial & antiviral properties of garlic in this dish add raw, minced garlic (instead of the fried, smoked or roasted) straight to the blender, starting with 1 clove.
Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip Warning!
It is a type of moreish dish disappearing quickly if left unattended!
As soon as I returned to Guernsey in the UK (a week yesterday actually!) I ordered 5 heads of smoked garlic (from my favourite supplier The Garlic Farm in the Isle of Wight) and now I just can’t have enough of it!
If YOU enjoy flavour of smoked food like bacon, fish, sausages, and have not tried the smoked garlic, you should definitely give it a go! It works great in salads, with potatoes, stews and, what I discovered recently, it takes my usual Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip in to the whole new level.
Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip vs health benefits & well-being
Aubergine (or Eggplant) protects us from heart disease and bad cholesterol. It is reach in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and supports our immune system. Aubergine is low in calories AND in Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip recipe it comes with ever tasty garlic and its goodness!
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 medium onions
- ¼ to ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200 g fresh mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp of Greek yoghourt or light sour cream
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Choose your garlic:
- 4 smoked garlic cloves, or 1 head of roasted garlic – cloves squeezed out, or 3 raw garlic cloves – any of these you’ll fry with onions
- 1 raw minced or finely chopped garlic clove, if you want to add it straight to the blender or food processor – you can always add more later
- If you want to use roasted garlic in this recipe, please refer to Roasted Garlic recipe in the main navigation menu under Recipes tab.
- Place chopped aubergine in the oven proof dish, cover with aluminium foil and roast for 30 min in 200C (395F) or until soft.
- In the meantime roughly chop onions and brown them in oil until soft with cumin and thyme in the pan. Stir in mushrooms and smoked, roasted or fresh garlic (unless you want to use raw garlic at the end) and let it sweat for 2 minutes.
- When the aubergine is ready transfer it to the food processor or blender. Add the content of the pan, parsley, lemon juice and yoghurt (and raw, finely chopped or minced garlic clove, if that’s the garlic of your choice). Pulse the ingredients to desired consistency and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to the serving bowl. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip and serve warm with crackers, dipping crisps, celery or carrots sticks.