Over the weekend I had been painting mad our guest bedroom, which became a bit of a dumping space since it got re-plastered a while ago. And when I say mad I really mean it. I managed to paint it in 3 shades of blue before finally going ahead with the second coat of the third shade. Darker or more intense colours look so different on all walls of a room from a small sample!
During these 2 crazy days my diet narrowed to ham sandwiches, cheese toasties, one very naughty Chinese takeaway and a bowl of delicious banoffee pie from my kind neighbour Jo. (She brought it for me and my partner, but since he’s away, I felt responsible for taking care of his half and not wasting a crumb 🙂 )
Yesterday I became really hungry for some veggie freshness and a healthy salad had to be on the menu.
Avocado and Tomato Quinoa Salad, come to mamma!
Thank you Avocado and Tomato Quinoa Salad for being my saviour and a seriously nutrient powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. You are such a wonderful superfood combo recipe, which simply can’t be ignored. And this was exactly what my abused by poor meal planning/no fruit or veg for 2 long days tummy needed (I feel really guilty when I write about it now! 🙂 )!
Avocado and Tomato Quinoa Salad takes only 20 minutes to make and it is absolutely delicious! There is a lovely crunch coming from the pea shoots, quinoa and pine nuts, and creaminess from plenty of avocados.
Because of avocado, it is best to mix the ingredients of the Avocado and Tomato Quinoa Salad when the quinoa is completely cold.
I like to rinse the quinoa under a cold, running water, straight after cooking. This cools it down and provides additional rinse. After, I press the quinoa, while still in the colander, with a pan lid to squeeze as much water out as possible. This makes the quinoa nice and fluffy and ready for the dressing to go in.
My partner LOVES avocados and we often have a plate full of them, simply as a snack. I can’t wait for him to try my newest Avocado and Tomato Quinoa Salad invention!
The only trouble is that Chris is not so big on tomatoes… Fingers crossed that with a little help of plenty of avocado I might just sneak in a few innocent tomato pieces into his bowl 🙂 They’re sooo good for you!
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 avocados - nice and ripe, cut to dice size pieces
- 3 tomatoes - sliced to small pieces
- big handful of pea shoots
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp chives
- 2 tbsp fresh basil - chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1 plump garlic clove - minced
- 3 tbsp parsley - chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon - juice only
- 2 tsp sea salt - finely grinded
- Rinse quinoa very well and set to cook according to the directions on the packaging.
- While quinoa is boiling, combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor to a dressing consistency; reserve.
- Chop basil, cilantro, chives and slice the tomatoes and tomatoes; reserve.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a colander and rinse again under a running, cold water. Using a pan lid, press as much water while quinoa is still in colander as possible.
- Transfer quinoa to big bowl, pour over the dressing and toss well making sure the dressing covers the quinoa well. Add remaining Avocado and Tomato Quinoa Salad ingredients, mix and serve.
Looking for more amazing, healthy, superfood packed recipe? Try my beautiful Hungarian Pepper Stew!