Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots with Parmesan is a simple savoury side dish, which works great accompanying a piece of meat or on its own, as a snack. Thanks to their natural sweetness, new crop carrots or baby carrots work best in this recipe.
Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots with Parmesan
I don’t suppose I have to tell you how much I enjoy a touch of garlic in my food. Pairing it with sweet notes is not the easiest thing to do, although I can surely point at some success stories! Garlic Roasted Carrots with Parmesan could count as one of them if it wasn’t for the obviously savoury Parmesan. But, you know, Parmesan is what makes this little dish come together so well and why I’m sharing it with you today.
Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots with Parmesan takes about 40 minutes to prepare and is worth every minute of it. Sure you can boil the carrots, toss in garlic butter, sprinkle Parmesan over and enjoy them 10 minutes sooner, but roasting is the best way of preserving the carrots’ natural goodness and sweetness and this is why I recommend it.
So as you’d expect – a simple looking dish equals a really simple recipe. We start by preheating the oven and slicing some garlic to then fry it in butter until it just turns straw colour. Then pour the garlic butter over the carrots, toss well and place in the oven where carrots soften and deepen their flavour. 30 min later the delicious garlic butter roasted carrots with Parmesan scattered over are ready to eat. Serve them with a roast, noodles or as a snack with toothpicks.
Here is the full, step by step recipe:
- 450g young or baby carrots, washed, drained and completely dry
- 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped or sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 35g (about ⅓ cup) grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C (392F).
- Wash your carrots and using a kitchen towel tap dry. Halve the thicker carrots lengthwise to ensure they all roast evenly. Place carrots in an oven proof dish and reserve.
- In a small pan, fry garlic in butter until it just turns straw colour and pour over the carrots. Using a spoon, coat carrots in the garlic butter. Bake for 25 min after which check if you’re happy with the softness - depending on how thick your carrots are you might need to add 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle Parmesan and parsley over and serve at once.