Sometimes I feel like little something, but nothing too heavy or common. Something with a twist and a kick, but not too substantial and filling. You know what I mean – this “something” that makes you picky with the boring and bland snacks like crisps or cheese on toast.
Especially in the early spring time garlic on toast becomes my favourite “something”
There is surely nothing boring or common about toast with sliced, raw garlic. Just bite in to one one day and you’ll know what I mean!
Garlic on toast is definitely my favourite way of eating raw garlic. Fresh garlic on toast reminds me off the first radishes with their crunch & the flavour punch. Especially if you sit them on a nice and creamy layer of butter. Yum… I could swear it tastes like spring!
Have you ever tried freshly sliced garlic on toast? I like mine on brown, toasted bread, with a generous layer of cold butter melting only when it reached the mouth. I love hearing the crunch of the garlic slices under the pressure of teeth. Yum… coarse salt all over, few slices of juicy tomato and cucumber and a sprinkle of Alfalfa or any sprouts really complements this already delicious combination.
You could as well use your favorite baguette or ciabata bread, cover it with a generous layer of butter, and garlic slices and (before putting tomato, cucumber and sprouts on) put it under the grill for 5 minutes. Alternatively, preheat the oven to 200C (400F) and bake the baguette or ciabatta with butter and garlic for 7-10 minutes (depending on how crispy you like it). After top it up with whatever veggies your heart desires.
Although I do like garlic bread from the oven I think, especially in the spring time, cold butter with fresh garlic on toast with bits of fresh sprouts and the sweetness of tomato is my winner! And let’s not forget about all the goodness that come with eating lovely, raw garlic!
- 1 slice of toast (or it can be any bread you like)
- 1 tbsp of butter (just to cover your toast with a thick layer of butter)
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 2-3 slices of tomato
- 2-3 slices of cucumber
- 1 tbsp sprouts of your choice
- a pinch of coarse salt
- a pinch of black pepper (freshly ground)
- Slice your garlic and the vegetables of your choice and set aside.
- Toast your bread or toast and spread the butter when the bread cooled down enough.
- Arrange the garlic slices followed by the remaining veggies.
- Sprinkle the coarse salt and pepper.
- Cover the top with the sprouts.