Eh, what can I say… heavenly creamy, insanely moreish Lemon Thyme Chicken with Roasted Garlic and Apple Sauce has been on my mind lately. So, here we go: here is my newest chicken love story – simple, true and from the bottom of my roasted garlic loving heart.
With the beginning of 2016 I promised myself that, if I really have to, all I’ll be snacking on is fruits and nuts to keep the unwanted, extra weight away. Hence the apples, which after the last shopping trip I had enough of to keep me crunching on for a week in case my cheddar cheese chips craving struck again. (I have a serious issue with these chips. I mean, SERIOUS ISSUE.)
So, at the end of the week I was left with only 1 apple (and cheddar cheese chips free conscience – good girl! In fact, I’ve been so good I feel I actually deserve to have a bowl of chips now!!) which turned out to be a revelation in the classic thyme & lemon sauce. I had made it in the past, but felt that the flavour needed lifting with some depth and sweetness. This is how 1 fresh apple & roasted garlic (instead of fried one) transformed classic, but plain lemon thyme chicken into the Lemon Thyme Chicken with Roasted Garlic and Apple Sauce beauty.
Lemon Thyme Chicken with Roasted Garlic and Apple
The sauce is just like a dream come true for all roasted garlic lovers. Smooth and nutty, roasted garlic notes come through really beautifully and all is finished with sweet and refreshing, tiny bits of juicy and crunchy apple, which also add the edge to the lemon thyme sauce texture.
Lemon Thyme Chicken with Roasted Garlic and Apple Sauce takes about 40 min to cook (if you use chicken breasts only). One thing I would mention is that it is important to only sear the chicken – don’t worry about cooking it through. It’ll get finished in the oven after the sauce is ready and this way chicken retains the moisture throughout the cooking process.
So good… Sooooo GOOD!
- 4 sexy chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 ½ cup of chicken broth or stock
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped finely
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- ¼ cup of cream
- juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme (2 tsp dry)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (2 tsp dry)
- salt & pepper
- 1 heaping tsp cornstarch if you like your sauce thicker
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season chicken parts with salt & pepper and quickly sear them in oil, in a skillet or a pan.
- Remove from the pan and set aside covered.
- Add butter & onions to the pan and fry the onions on a moderate heat for about 7 min. Add the stock and let it simmer gently (for about 10-15min) until it reduces to about 1 cup.
- In the meantime squeeze garlic cloves out of the roasted garlic head, mash with a fork into a paste and mix together with cream (and if you choose to, cornstarch, which will thicken the sauce) until just combined.
- To the pan with onions and stock, add roasted garlic cream mixture, very finely chopped apple, lemon juice, thyme and parsley. Mix it all well, and allow to simmer for about 10 min uncovered.
- Unless you are using a skillet pan, transfer the content to an ovenproof dish and place chicken parts on the top.
- If you’re cooking chicken breasts bake them for 8-10 min, if chicken thighs - 20-25 min. If you’re using a mixture of both make sure to remove chicken breasts after about 8-10 min and set aside wrapped in an aluminum foil to keep it warm, before returning to the hot sauce just before serving.