There are easy and simple ways to make the boring food taste great without going to much effort. My homemade roasted garlic cream cheese is a great example of how to turn a plain cream cheese into a naturally flavoured and diverse spread for your slice, a delicious coat/topping for a fish or even a filling in a pie.
Roasted Garlic Cream Cheese can be used in many ways
Roasted garlic cream cheese recipe is really straightforward and can be put together in minutes. You need 2 heads of roasted garlic, which you can make in advance and store refrigerated for days. I really like to keep 3 or 4 of these in a plastic container to have it on hand when I needed to flavour sauces, mashed potatoes or dips. (Have you tried my Aubergine, Mushroom & Garlic Dip yet? It’s been really popular ever since I published it back in March 2015. Give it a try and share this great dip with friends or family!)
If you want to turn roasted garlic cream cheese into a dip, add 3 tbsp of cream and a squeeze of lemon juice to loosen the consistency and another delicious and flavorful homemade dip is ready!
You can make roasted garlic cream cheese yours by adding favourite herbs and believe me, any fresh herb goes! Thyme, parsley, chives, rosemary, oregano, basil, coriander – the possibilities are endless. I have even used a teaspoon of dry Italian herbs and think it works great.
Sure, you can buy garlic cream cheese, but the roasted garlic adds lusciously nutty and smoked qualities to a cream cheese, which I have not yet experienced from a bought one.
- 200 g plain cream cheese
- 2 roasted garlic bulbs - squeezed out cloves only
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh herbs of your choice
- Using a fork, mash roasted garlic cloves to a paste and place with the remaining ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, mix all the ingredients until well combined.
I LOVE ROASTED GARLIC, the gentle, nutty and caramel almost like notes it delivers. Try and see for yourself how wonderfully it works in these recipes: BEEF AND ROASTED GARLIC STEW, ROASTED GARLIC AND OLIVES NIBBLE, ROASTED GARLIC AND BEET SOUP, MUSHROOM AND ROASTED GARLIC SOUP, ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH GARLIC, AUBERGINE, MUSHROOM & GARLIC DIP.
Roasted Garlic Recipe
- 1 garlic head
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Peel most of the outer garlic head wrappers and trim ¼ inch off the top of the garlic head.
- Place the garlic head (or heads) on a piece of aluminium foil big, enough to wrap it around the heads.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil over the exposed tops of the cloves and allow the olive oil to run down to the inner parts of the garlic head.
- Wrap the garlic head in the aluminium foil and place it on the baking tray, in the oven (trimmed top up).
- Bake for 40 minutes. (For deeper colour and flavour you can extend the roasting time to 60 minutes.)