I stumbled upon a Roasted Garlic and Orange Glazed Soybeans recipe in a 70’s Mediterranean cookbook in one of the hotels I stayed in. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of the title or the author so I don’t know who the credit should go to. Whoever you are, dear author, thank you for sharing this super healthy appetizer/side dish idea.
Roasted Garlic and Orange Glazed Soybeans is a lovely vegan recipe, packed with healthy flavours and satisfying textures. It is a great source of non-animal protein, fiber, B vitamins, calcium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Not bad for a small, green bean!
What to serve Roasted Garlic and Orange Glazed Soybeans
Meats like duck, pork, chicken in the natural or sweet sauce will definitely benefit from the company of the Roasted Garlic and Orange Glazed Soybeans. You could also serve them as on the photograph, in little dishes, simply as an appetizer or a healthy snack.
Ok, confession time. I’m a human being who occasionally gets super lazy and refuses to cook. This is when my conformist side comes to light and reaches to the very bottom of the dark freezer, where the very lazy, ready meals live waiting for their moment of appreciation.
The work involved in preparation of Roasted Garlic and Orange Glazed Soybeans is near to nothing and that surely fitted the theme of our yesterday evening’s meal. Last night my partner and I had ready made duck in orange and rosemary sauce, which was an obvious match for the roasted garlic and orange glaze on the beans btw. And you know what? The little beans have really saved the day.
It was all tasty, well paired and I felt really proud of myself that I managed to put something really healthy and good for us on plates next to that lazy, ready duck. Thanks beans!
- 2 cups of fresh soybeans (with no skins on)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic puree (simply smash roasted garlic cloves to make a paste)
- 2 large oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, shredded
- Place beans in a wide, shallow sauce pan, add orange juice, sugar and garlic pure to the pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally and cook until 90 percent of the liquid has evaporated and the beans have a sugar-orange glaze.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place the beans with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir and serve.