On a day like today, creamy roasted parsnip, garlic and turmeric soup is what keeps things together.
I can be tired, feel cold, vulnerable and grumpy, but with the first spoonful of my super comforting Roasted Parsnip, Garlic and Turmeric Soup everything takes on a brighter colour.
Without a doubt, roasted parsnips and garlic complement each other well indeed. Sweetness mixed with caramel notes (and some basic seasoning) of this veggie couple makes it an ideal, creamy, balanced base for a simple parsnip and roasted garlic soup.
I had it many times (frankly, I could live on soups!) and, I’ve especially welcomed the satisfying, warming flavour of this simple, vegan soup on cold, winter days. Now and again I would twist things slightly with a healthy pinch of powdered cardamom, which makes it a bit like a posh cross between a savoury soup and a dessert.
Seriously, I can’t help loving it! On a grey day like today, it’s like an old friend, who cheers you up and makes you look at things from a different, lighter, sweeter perspective.
And things would probably stay this way, if it wasn’t for a big box of fresh turmeric my partner came back with from the last supermarket trip.
After 5 cups of turmeric tea drunk from a cup held by a couple of chronically-by-now-yellow hands from cleaning and grating the fresh turmeric, turmeric mushroom risotto, a failed attempt at a turmeric spiced salad, I threw some turmeric into my parsnip and roasted garlic soup (and skipped the cardamom). And I’m so glad I did!
Sweet roasted parsnip, garlic and turmeric soup delight
It’s amazing how one ingredient can transform an old recipe!
Although turmeric became an unexpected addition, it rounded the flavour in a different way than cardamom does and really transformed an old recipe. Roasted parsnip, garlic and turmeric soup, is a real, vegan delight and I highly recommend this lovely warming dish to all people from the soup / comfort food loving tribe. Enjoy my friends! And if you like it as much as I do, share the love on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!
FYI: Except for the lovely, mild flavour, when it comes to health benefits (amazing anti inflammatory, antibacterial and anticancer properties), turmeric sits on the same, respected, high bench as garlic, and it is so worth befriending and adding to the daily diet! Find out more about turmeric health benefits here.
And below you can check out the recipe for my Roasted Parsnip, Garlic and Turmeric Soup. Enjoy!
- 300g parsnips
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of vegetable or water
- 4 inch piece of fresh turmeric, grated (about 4 tbsp) or 2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2½ cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup of milk (I used almond milk)
- salt & white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Slice parsnips into small, roasting pieces, toss with olive oil, lightly season with salt and pour into a baking tray. Add unpeeled garlic cloves and bake for 35 min.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the tray, peel the skin off and place the peeled garlic cloves flesh in a food processor (discard the skins).
- Place parsnips in a deep pan, add stock and bring it all up to boil.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the parsnips from the stock and transfer into a food processor; add milk, turmeric and process until smooth and super creamy.
- Transfer creamed parsnips back to the pan with stock and mix well. Bring it all to boil again, turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning of the roasted parsnip, garlic and turmeric soup with salt and pepper to your liking. Serve hot.