Wow! Crispy, smoky, juicy, satisfying and, funny enough – totally accidental!
You know these days when you are so busy that throwing whatever is left in the fridge into a pan and hope for the best seems to be the only way to have a quick meal without going shopping or ordering a takeaway? Well, this is exactly how my Smoked Sausage and Chickpeas Crispy Medley came about.
Accidental feast of Smoked Sausage and Chickpeas Crispy Medley
Many good things happen when I’d expect them the least. It happens to all of us, these totally random inventions, which later become the favourite thing ever. You know exactly what I’m talking about, my friend! And, funny enough, it really is just leftovers from other settled in our more or less regular menu repertoire.
This is what I love about cooking; this “y-not” factor, when I get to cook with a random selection of ingredients, often leftovers, and the first spoonful hits me with the realisation that putting them together actually made tonnes of sense. It takes courage and a bit of imagination, but it is so worth it now and again! It is a bit of a home version of that TV program Chopped, if you had a chance to see it. I mean, don’t get me wrong… It’s not that I always take risks and then can’t step away from that pan until the content is gone. But this was the case of my accidental Smoked Sausage and Chickpeas Crispy Medley invention.
Eating directly from the pan is obviously not what I normally do, but it does happen on occasions if something really delicious got cooked in it, and serving it in a dish is just not what’s on my mind. And nobody’s watching. Ok, I am blushing now.
Textures and flavours work great: snow peas gives it a fun crunch and freshness, peppers and mushrooms enrich the lovely, natural juices, and smoked sausage with sweet paprika really play nicely together taking the centre spot in the flavour department.
All in all – it is a great comfort meal with bold and satisfying flavours, which was put together quite randomly, and that is what I love about it!
I have a feeling that my Smoked Sausage and Chickpeas Crispy Medley could easily get you in that experimental mood too 🙂 You’ll be surprised how impressive your leftover medleys can be!
- 1 cup (165g) chickpeas - cooked
- ½ cup (100g) of onion - chopped
- 5 garlic cloves - sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz (100g) smoked sausage - sliced to 2 inch pieces
- 3 oz (80g) colourful bell peppers
- 3 oz (80g) snow peas - sliced in half
- 3 oz (80g) mushrooms - sliced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika - ground
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a skillet or a large pan, on a medium heat, fry smoked sausage and onions in oil until browned - about 10 min.
- Add garlic, chickpeas, bell peppers, sprinkle ground paprika and let it cook for another 6-8 minutes mixing your medley frequently, so the chickpeas gets coated in the juices and absorbs the flavours.
- Add mushrooms, mix the medley and when you see mushrooms releasing the juice, add snow peas to the pan. Mix well again and wait for the snow peas to change its colour to bright green - this is the sign that it’s cooked through, but it is still nice and crispy.
- Take the pan off the heat, adjust the seasoning, sprinkle parsley over, mix it all well together again and serve your Smoked Sausage and Chickpeas Crispy Medley while still hot.