“Sometimes your cravings for something cheesy just take over. That’s when it’s good to have this little sucker up your sleeve.”
It was love at first sight. Truly.
Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips recipe from Best Green Eats Ever, by Katrine Van Wyk, is my new favourite healthy eat. Do you recall that Smoked Sausage and Chickpeas Crispy Medley post? It was inspired by one of Katrine’s recipe too! What a great little cookbook! I am really glad I bought it.
So now you can forget about the bitterness and the sturdy texture kale is known for. We’re talking combination of juicy and gentle crisp on the edges that only baked, wilted kale can give you.
We are talking savoury moreish snack you’ll refuse to share! I would easily have Katrine’s Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips not only as a snack, but as a side dish to any meat or fish dish.
Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips = Amazingly light cheesy snack
You need about 12 kale leaves, Katrine says “1 bunch of kale”, but they tend to come in all shapes and sizes. When you get rid of stems you should be left with about 3-4 packed cups of raw kale.
Coat your dry kale leaves well in the mixture of one tbsp oil, ½ tsp sea salt (Himalayan sea salt is best!) and three tbsp vegan Parmesan or one tbsp nutritional yeast (I used real Parmesan – sorry Katerine!). Stick it in the oven at 350F and in 15-20 min you will end up with a bowl of beautiful, aromatic, crispy and absolutely delicious Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips. So good!
And my boyfriend is not so big on kale in general, so that precious bowl is mine! MINE!
Ditch the shop bought, fatty, potato pretenders and have a bowl of some real stuff!
A do have a note to this recipe.
Kale must be dry before it gets coated in the oil and cheese. This really does help to crisp it up properly. If you wash kale first and coat in the oil and cheese dressing while it is still wet your chips won’t be as crispy as they could. This does not take away from the Vegan Cheesy Kale Chips flavour though.
- 1 bunch kale (about 12 leaves), stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt, preferably freshly ground Himalayan sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp vegan Parmesan such as Parma (or 1tbsp nutritional yeast)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl, making sure all the kale leaves are covered in oil and cheese. Spread the kale out on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to open the oven and toss the leaves around a few times, rearranging them into a single layer each time to make sure they get nice and crispy. Let them cool before serving.