Hello, you colorful, happy thing! I just can’t wait to dig into that green bowl! I actually haven’t had a nice, warm, green salad for a while. That’s why I made today a gorgeous, Broccoli, Kale and Asparagus Chicken Salad day. Sooo HAPPY!
Broccoli, Kale and Asparagus Chicken Salad idea came to me after my green conscience planted me in the cookbook aisle the other day for over 40 minutes. I missed my yoga class, so while waiting for my lift I decided to cross over to Barnes & Noble book store, opposite the yoga studio, and get that long overdue salad cookbook. I decided to focus specifically on cookbooks with “salads’ in the title, which I feel we should be eating more of, but surprisingly, I only found three books in total on that subject.
After flipping through somewhat interesting pages I picked one of the books and, with a degree of disappointment, started looking around in hope for maybe a bit more excitement from other covers.
I eventually came back home with “Near and far”, by Heidi Swanson (whose blog I follow anyway) and Katrine Van Wyk’s Best Green Eats Ever. Katerine’s Kale Chips and Green and Creamy Popsicles recipes sold the book right there and then. I love her green ideas and look forward to trying quite a few of them!
Warm Broccoli, Kale and Asparagus Chicken Salad is a keeper!
In fact it was Katerine’s broccolini skillet recipe, which gave me an idea for making Sunday dinner leftover chicken breast part of our lunch in a Broccoli, Kale and Asparagus Chicken Salad. It turned out absolutely delicious and I will surely make it again. Crunchy broccoli and asparagus, lovely, tender & famously healthy kale, sweet baby toms, juicy, diced chicken breast, plus a healthy dose of fried garlic is what made this salad so special.
Serve the Broccoli, Kale and Asparagus Chicken Salad warm to enhance the lovely green, earthy and fresh aroma of the veggies. And don’t be shy to ask for an extra portion – it is all really good for you 🙂
- 1 chicken breasts - sliced to 1 by 2 inch pieces
- 200g fresh kale leaves - discard the stems
- 100g fresh asparagus - cut to 2 inch pieces
- 250 broccoli florets - cut into a 2 by 1 inch chunks
- 10 vine or cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1 medium, red onion - sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin or canola oil
- 4-5 plump garlic cloves - peeled and sliced
- ½ tbsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp of your favourite, fresh, chopped herbs - I used one of each: chives, basil, cilantro
- Fill a large pan with water and bring the water to boil. Broccoli florets need about 4 minutes to cook, but the asparagus cooking time depends on whether you use the jumbo or skinny type.
- If you are using jumbo asparagus (thick stem ones) place them together with broccoli in the boiling water. Cook broccoli and the jumbo asparagus for 4 minutes or until tender, remove from the hot water using a slotted spoon and reserve for later. If you are using thin asparagus, add them to the hot water with broccoli only for for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Using a slotted spoon, remove the veg from the hot water and reserve for later.
- In another pan, on a medium heat fry the onions in oil until translucent. Increase the heat to high, add chicken breast chunks and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat in the pan with onions and chicken, add garlic and fry until garlic starts to turn to straw colour (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add kale leaves. Season with salt & pepper, stir well and when the kale leaves stopped wilting down, turn the heat off. Add halved tomatoes, sprinkle your favourite, fresh herbs over, mix and serve.