Come on in to discover my Juicy Turkey Breast secrets! This is an easy, straight forward 50 min in total recipe for an oven roasted, bone in (2 ½ lb) perfect turkey breast. You’ll want to bake it time and time again, even outside the festive season to have for dinner or use in sandwiches or salads.
The truth is that we just don’t eat much turkey outside “the season”. Chicken tends to be our first choice of poultry instead and I guess that the main reasons are both the familiarity and accessibility factors. Sometimes though it might be the infamous dryness of turkey, which puts many people off.
But in November and December tradition starts to gently knock on our doors and turkey sandwiches, salads and pastas are seen on most menus.
My partner likes to have plenty of turkey in weeks leading to Christmas because after Christmas everybody forgets about the humble bird and you have to wait a whole year again to justify eating ridiculous volumes of cranberry sauce.
In our home there is no way I would be getting a whole bird just for the two of us before the Christmas lunch, because even a small turkey is just way too much. But just like my partner, I am always up for a nice oven roasted, juicy turkey breast in the lead-up to the big Christmas feast.
Turkey is known for going dry while roasting, but I make it a point to produce a super juicy turkey breast to prove it not being a rule! My roasted turkey breast turns out perfect every time! And every time I perform this happy turkey dance in celebration!
Juicy Turkey Breast Recipe Secrets
Smother your turkey breast with butter!
Yes, butter again. I know… I was supposed to cut back, but the lovely, juicy turkey breast is so worth this small sacrifice of having butter!
Turkey breast cooking time
For 2 ½ lb bone in turkey breast cooking time is about 40 minutes.
Turkey breast temperature
Preheat oven to 450F (232C), but turn it down to 375F (190C) as soon as you place your turkey in the oven. This helps the skin to brown, but doesn’t overcook the meat.
Turkey breast crispy skin
Butter will do most of the job during roasting, but for super crispy skin turn the broiler/grill function of your oven for 2-3 minutes on the top of roasting time.
You can serve this amazingly juicy turkey breast as a main event on the plate and any cold leftovers can be sliced thinly to use in salads, soups or as sandwich filler like this one.
- 1 bone-in, skin on turkey breast half, about 2½ pounds
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt flakes
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper or your favourite poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450F (232C).
- In a small bowl mix together butter, salt flakes, minced garlic, thyme leaves and lemon zest to create a paste.
- Rinse and pat dry your turkey breast. Slide you fingers under the skin of the turkey breast creating a pocket like space and spread half of the butter under the skin.
- Massage the rest of the butter mixture on top of the skin and all over the meat apart from the bone. Place turkey breast in a roasting pan and season all over with your favourite poultry seasoning or simply salt and pepper.
- Place the tray with the turkey on a middle shelf in the oven, uncovered. Close the oven door and turn the oven temperature down to 375F (190C).
- Roast turkey for about 50-60 minutes. If you’re after super crispy skin, turn the broiler/grill function of your oven for 2-3 minutes on the top of roasting time.
Any cold leftovers can be sliced thinly to use as sandwich filler like this one, in a salad or a soup.