Have you ever tried smoked garlic? If you haven’t, put it on the list of things to do!
Smoked garlic is a must for all garlic lovers and those who never came across this super tasty version of garlic. Last week I paired it with cherry tomatoes and made a fantastic roasted cherry tomato & smoked garlic soup with a drizzle of homemade basil oil.
We have an abundance of cherry toms here in Guernsey, UK (where I am now) since we are right in the middle of the season. Tomato (and garlic!) season is definitely my favourite season of all! If it wasn’t for my beloved garlic I would probably blog about toms! 🙂
Roasted Cherry Tomato & Smoked Garlic Soup
Fresh, sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes are fantastic in salads and maybe that’s why not so many people think of cooking them.
Roasted cherry tomato & smoked garlic soup recipe is a warm celebration of these wonderful red cuties, which to me, next to their plum toms relatives, are the tastiest in the whole tomato family.
My hearty, rich, intense, sweet and sour soup can be served in a small bowl with a piece of a buttered baguette or rustic bread. The smokiness of garlic adds a new depth begging to be explored in further recipes. My mouth is watering just when I think about having it again for lunch today!
Grandma of all soups, the regular tomato soup I mean, does like a healthy hint of garlic. Smoked garlic is a great twist I dare you to try to revitalize this traditional and much loved soup recipe! Try my simple roasted cherry tomato & smoked garlic soup recipe below and see for yourself how well they go together.
If you like smoked meats (ribs, bacon, sausages..), fish or cheese, you are very likely to appreciate the wonderful flavour of smoked garlic. I LOVE it in all dishes I’d normally use fresh garlic. The smoked garlic adds a different dimension and layer to the way food tastes. The garlic loses most of its sharpness and pungency, but keeps the deep and special flavour. You can buy some ready smoked garlic from these suppliers:
French Flavour – UK
Saltt – Australia
- 1 kg cherry tomatoes
- 100 g celery hearts
- 3 tbsp oil
- 15 smoked garlic cloves (1½ head)
- 4 tbs fresh, chopped parsley
- 1 tsb freshly ground white pepper
- 3 tsp coarse sea salt
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 20 g fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Toss tomatoes, celery and peeled garlic cloves in oil and roast for 30 min.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to the food processor and liquidate. Pour the soup into a deep pan, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 min.
- When the soup cooled a bit use a very fine sieve to separate the tomato seeds. Discard the seeds.
- To make a basil oil combine basil and 150 ml of oil in a clean food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Serve roasted cherry tomato & smoked garlic soup hot with a drizzle of basil oil.
Looking for other, delicious garlic soup recipes? Try my creamy Mushroom & Roasted Garlic Soup!