Today we’re talking Sardines and a lovely Sardine Fish Cakes. Who would have thought that Sardine Fish Cakes could be such a delicious alternative to more popular cod or crab cakes?! Sardine fish cakes can be made with either fresh or canned sardines and I must admit I did not expect for the dill to complement this simple dish so well.
In my next post I’ll also share a recipe for a lovely Fisherman’s Eggs made with sardines. Both Sardine Fish Cakes and Fisherman’s Eggs are really simple, HEALTHY, cheap, delicious and under 30 min meals with just a hint of (no surprise here ♥) garlic.
How often do you eat Sardines? Not that often I guess, but this humble, common fish deserve tonnes of credit. Here’s a surprise: next to salmon, sardines are considered a superfood and there are more than enough reasons for that. In this article you’ll find more detailed information about all the important nutrients sardines offer.
Sardine Fish Cakes are packed with proteins, omega-3 healthy fat & vitamin B12
It all started with my partner who, after taking some allergy tests was told that the dull headaches he’d been having for decades were caused by his favourite food (except for Guernsey ice-cream:)) of all – seafood! Only once or twice a week he can have crab, rainbow trout or sardines, which for someone who for decades used to have seafood on almost every other day basis is very limiting indeed.
So to keep some of the super healthy omega 3 fish, healthy fat acids in Chris’s diet we cook trout, Sardine Fish Cakes or Sardine Fisherman’s Eggs now and again. The real treat for Chris is a crab sandwich on some Saturday visits to the Guernsey Yacht Club where we hold a membership. If you ever pass through Guernsey don’t miss the opportunity of trying the local seafood! This truly is at least one very good reasons to visit this beautiful and diverse island.
Sardine Fish Cakes, as any other fish cakes, contain bread crumbs and an egg to keep things together. To me dill does the magic though. Dill complements the fish flavour and leaves a lovely, clean, herb aftertaste. Sardine Fish Cakes are light, tender and moreish! Whether you use canned or fresh sardines give them a go and share your thoughts with me!
- 2 cans of sardines in water (ideally with no added salt) or 6 fresh cleaned sardines
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill - chopped
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- Wedges of lemon to serve
- 5 tbsp frying oil (100ml)
- If you use caned sardines drain as much water from the sardines as possible before mixing the fish meat with the other ingredients. If you use fresh, cleaned sardines, mash the meat first using a fork.
- Combine all the ingredients and and shape six, individual, 1 inch thick cakes.
- Fry on a slow heat on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges, green salad, new potatoes or 10 minute cucumber, yogurt, dill & garlic salad.