A bowl of cold, vegan sun-dried tomato lentil salad always brings a big smile to my face! Apart from being super healthy this gluten free salad also looks amazing! Just look at these stunning, party-snack-perfect colours! Sun-dried tomato lentil salad takes only 20 min to put together. It can be served on its own, with biscuits, with a serving of meat, or with poached or fried egg on the top. All in all, this is a great speedy, tasty lunch or dinner recipe idea worth sharing.
3 Things to love about this sun-dried tomato lentil salad recipe
- Flavour! This is a rich, wholesome, earthy salad with lovely sweetly acidic notes coming from the sun-dried tomatoes and freshness delivered by bell peppers and parsley. You can customise it with some more acidity by adding some feta cheese or more apple cider vinegar in the dressing. You could also add some chilli to spice things up. Talking about an amazing flavour of beans: Have you ever tried Bean Jar?
- Health factor. Yup. This is a real deal, gluten free medley of wholesome, vegan goodness! Plus the salad dressing contains raw garlic to keep any cold & flu away! Happy days!
Did you read my last post: 11 reasons why garlic is good for the heart? Lentils love your heart too! In fact legumes are associated with a whopping 82% reduction in risk of death from heart disease. I love this stuff! Lentils nutrition is through the roof! Hello wholesome protein, folate, fibre, manganese, iron, heart supporting molybdenum… Seriously, if you have any doubts check out this chart. Mind boggling!
- Very easy and quick to make plus… and this is what gets me every time: I can make this salad in 20 min and eating it makes me feel not only perfectly satisfied, but energised and happy! I mean it! This simple sun-dried tomato lentil salad has happiness factored in and this is good enough reason to have it. Also, lentils don’t need to be soaked prior to cooking, which makes them really easy to prepare. They are available all year round and work well with many flavours!
Pairing cooked lentils with sweet sun-dried tomatoes and acidic dressing with a touch of raw garlic is my favourite way to eat these little fellows.
BUT! I also do enjoy a nice, hearty bean soup. The best one I’ve ever had was given to me one Autumn evening a few years back by my neighbour in Guernsey, Jo. Hello, Jo! I hope you’re reading! Can I have your amazing 3 bean soup recipe to share on Garlic Matters, please?
Like it? Pin it!
- 100g (½ cup) mixed lentils - I used red split, green & black
- 250ml (1¼ cup) water
- 5 tablespoons pitted olives in brine, drained and diced to corn size pieces
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced thinly
- 150g (5oz) bell peppers (2 different colours will make the salad look more colourul), diced to corn size pieces
- 3 tablespoons of oil from sun-dried tomatoes jar
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (depending how acidic you want your dressing; try with one and ad the second tablespoon later)
- 2 raw garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- Rinse lentils and set to simmer in water on medium heat for about 15 minutes until almost soft. Drain and reserve.
- Combine dressing ingredients and reserve.
- Dice and slice all salad ingredient. When lentils are cooked and cooled down combine them with all other ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and serve with a generous sprinkle of parsley leaves.